Thursday, March 8, 2012

#156. Corky's Irish Pub, 45844 Yale Road West, Chilliwack

This pub used to be a nightclub called The Blue Unicorn back in the early '80s. I spent most of the summer of '84 hanging out here when I was dating Karen Murray. The Blue Unicorn was the first place I ever heard Blue Monday by New Order. Good times. Apparently the building is still owned by former legendary Stampede Wrestler Robert Harms, aka The Magnificent Mennonite.


Today Corky's is a rather crass attempt at an Irish pub. I guess it's kind of like Malone's Irish Bar of Edinburgh in the layout, decor, and focus on sports. But the completely half-assed attempt renders it more like a cafeteria than a cozy pub, I'm afraid. Still, that didn't stop the place from being nearly full with the locals all sporting ball caps and cheering on the Canucks vs. the Jets.


I drank their own signature ale, brewed for them by Old Yale Brewing.


The building itself seemed smaller than I remember, too.

No comments: