Sunday, May 6, 2012

#210. Usher Hall, Lothian Road, Edinburgh

I finally got the chance to see one of my all-time favourite bands: New Order.


Usher Hall is a beautiful venue. They removed all the seats from the orchestra level, which is where we were standing with all the other folks who went nuts as the Mancunians belted out a stream of hits including Bizarre Love Triangle, Regret, Perfect Kiss, and Blue Monday. But the songs that seemed to bring the house down were the older tracks like Age of Consent, Ceremony, and Temptation. The encore consisted of two Joy Division songs: Transmission, and Love Will Tear Us Apart.


The bar was packed with dudes that Meghan remarked all looked like me. At last, a concert where I didn't feel like I was there as an embarrassed chaperone!


I drank a Deuchars IPA in a 500ml bottle. They quickly ran out of those. Then Becks in the can. They ran out of that. Then Meghan got me a whiskey while the men grumbled and walked away from the bar, confused that there was no beer.

No comments: